Pet-friendly resources, events and activities delivered to your inbox for FREE!
Sign up here!
Southern California's best guide to pet services, pet resources and pet-friendly events
Keep in touch with Petsguide!
Home > Blog > 12 Events in August Your Pets Will Drool Over!
12 Events in August Your Pets Will Drool Over!
1. Kitty Hall Adoption Event in Long Beach – 8/11 Join the Long Beach Animal Care Services for a low-cost adoption event where they trade in city hall for kitty hall. All adoptions, $20. Friday, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Long Beach City Hall, 333 W. Ocean Blvd., Long Beach. www.facebook.com/events
2. Beach Blanket Bassets – 8/12 Have fun splashing around, in the very gentle surf, with the Basset Hound Rescue of Southern California for a beach day full of fun. It even includes the Hound Swimsuit Competition (prize awarded). Saturday, 10 a.m. – noon. Rosie’s Dog Beach, 4800 East Ocean Blvd, Long Beach (between Granada and Rycroft Ave). (949) 484-9065, www.bassethoundrescue.org
3. Pet Loss Counseling and Support Groups of Orange County – 8/12 Pet Loss Counseling and Support Groups provide therapeutic and compassionate support to assist you when saying goodbye to the pet you love. Facilitated by Andrea Keith, LMFT, support groups meet at 12:30 p.m., typically on the first and third Saturdays each month. 4199 Campus Drive, #550, Irvine, 92612. No reservations required. (949) 650-2442. www.time4therapy.com
4. DogaFit at Sender One Climbing – 8/13 Yoga Teacher and Certified Animal Massage Therapist, Aimee Hyatt, leads humans and pets alike through a yoga session aimed at reducing stress, nourishing the mind-body-spirit connection and fostering the human-canine bond. There will be special K9 natural gift bags for the first 50 guests and there will be a social media raffle in which you can win a gift basket valued at $200. All dogs must be current on all vaccines and on leash, and participants must bring their own yoga mat and towel. Sunday, 10-11:30 a.m. Sender One Climbing, Yoga, Fitness, 1441 S. Village Way, Santa Ana. www.eventbrite.com
5. CatCon LA – 8/12 & 8/13 A two-day weekend event celebrating groundbreaking products and ideas in art and design, pop culture, and attitude…for cat people. Part expo, part symposium, CatConLA showcases the world’s top cat-centric merchandise including furniture, art, toys and clothing for those who possess a great love of the feline, as well as conversations with some of the top cat experts in the world. Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Visit webiste for ticket prices. Pasadena Convention Center, 300 E. Green St., Pasadena. Feline family members will not be allowed into this event. www.catconla.com
6. Long Beach Animal Care Services Waggin’ Pet Adoptions at El Dorado Park – 8/15 The Adoption Waggin’ is coming to a park near you! Check out some adoptable pets looking for a furever home before the Long Beach summer movie in the park starts. Tuesday, 6-9 p.m. El Dorado Park, 1 Granada Ave, Long Beach. (562) 570-7387. www.facebook.com
7. Low Cost Vaccination Clinic – 8/15 The Mission Viejo Animal Services Center will conduct a public low cost animal vaccination and microchip clinic for pet owners in Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita and Laguna Hills. For more information and price list visit www.cmvas.org. Tuesday, 5:30-8 p.m.
8. Clear the Shelters Event at OCACS – 8/19 Help the Orange County Animal Care Service “clear the shelter” by adopting a new family member. $17 adoptions (does not include license or microchip). Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. 561 The City Drive South, Orange. www.ocpetinfo.com
9. The Westie Boat Parade – 8/19 Cruise Newport harbor in electric boats to raise money for WROC. Each boat will have a captain who guarantees a safe, fun 1 1/2 hour tour. Seating is limited to 8-9 people per boat and limited to 4-5 Westies per boat. Dogs must be on a leash and well behaved. Saturday, 1:30 p.m. $60 per person, includes the tour, box lunch, and water. BYOB of your favorite beverage and a small cooler are welcome. Pre-registration is required. 3101 West Coast Hwy, #160, Newport Beach. www.westierescueoc.com
10. Foster Class at South Bay – 8/20 SpcaLA is looking for Foster Parents for pets of all ages and needs. Foster Parents provide temporary homes for pets that are too young for adoption or in need of socialization or extra TLC until they are ready to be placed into adoptions. Potential foster parents must fill out & submit an application prior to attending a foster class (found at www.spcala.org). Sunday, 10 a.m. – noon. www.spcala.com/events
11. Drag Queen Bingo Pug Fundraiser in LA – 8/20 Join Pug Nation Rescue of LA for a fun fundraiser with $20 bingo. Sunday, 6-8 p.m. Hamberger Mary’s, 8288 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles. Pug Nation Rescue of LA, (310) 327-7871. www.pugnationla.org
12. Wiener Dog Races at Plum Festival in Huntington Beach – 8/20 Dozens of dachshunds scramble in pursuit of fame and imaginative lures as hundreds of spectators cheer them on along a 20-yard cobblestone track. Handlers encourage, cajole and plead with the willful little dogs to focus on racing to the finish line, instead of the interesting sights, sounds and smells along the route. The top three winners of each race day receive trophies and gift certificates for the Wiener Dog Store. Sunday, 3 p.m. Also offered throughout Octoberfest. Free admission. Old World in Huntington Beach, 7561 Center Ave. (714) 898-5111. www.wienerdogstore.com